If you are younger than 40, there’s no need to read this. Go back to texting your friends or planning your daughter’s play-date.
But if you are 40 or over, read on. I’d like to extend a conversation I began earlier and entertain the notion that we can arrest aging at somewhere around 40 years old and be, say, 90 years old while continuing to ride your bike, dance the salsa, socializing, traveling, and enjoying life well beyond the standard notion of what it means to get old. Many of the pieces that make this possible are beginning to fall into place.
A pivotal development is our personal capacity to increase oxytocin, a cornerstone hypothalamic hormone that cascades into improvements across a dozen other hormones such as testosterone, interleukin-10 that modulates immune and healing processes, and insulin. Recall that we boost oxytocin by consuming our powerful L. reuteri yogurt cultivated with the two strains, ATCC PTA 6475 and DSM 17938, that we know yield this effect. Combine the oxytocin-boosting effect of L. reuteri with several other natural strategies that I shall be discussing in coming months and we have the potential to genuinely stall, even reverse, many of the phenomena of aging. In particular, our Undoctored strategies for 1) reversing numerous inflammatory phenomena, 2) reversing hormonal imbalances such as abnormally increased prolactin, estrogen, and insulin, and 3) restoring muscle and strength back to youthful levels can add up to:
- Smoother skin with fewer wrinkles–We are witnessing visible effects within 4 weeks. Imagine what happens over 6 or 12 months or longer.
- Accelerated healing—Healing at the pace of a child or teenager, not the slow and infection-inviting pace of the elderly
- Preserved bone density—Even as a lone strategy, bone density loss is cut in half. (We of course also take advantage of strategies such as vitamin D to further preserve/increase bone density.)
- Increased muscle mass and strength—Those of us who strength train, even to modest degrees, regain substantial muscle over the initial 4 weeks, consistent with experimental data demonstrating the return of youthful muscle from senescent atrophy. (I personally gained 13 pounds of muscle just going to the gym for 15-20 minutes to strength train once or twice per week.)
- Enhanced immunity—It is not yet clear how far this effect extends, but it is clearly powerful and involves such phenomena as activation of immune T-cells and increased volume of the thymus gland that mediates much of the immune response. Recall that diminished immunity is part of aging, explaining why hospitals are filled with the elderly with pneumococcal pneumonia and other infections.
- Increased socialization—Helping reverse, for instance, the tendency to become isolated as we get older. Instead, you connect with others, empathize more, and seek out the company of others.
- Increased libido—Meaning that youthful sexual activity is sought long after the capacity for (female) reproduction has ceased.
- Normalizes multiple hormonal responses—This is an area in which we need more evidence. Preliminary evidence, however, suggests increased testosterone in males, increased progesterone in females, perhaps a growth hormone-like effect, as well as the several improvements in immunity.
Many people turn back the clock on aging just by following the basic Undoctored Wild, Naked, Unwashed strategies. But you can push the envelope of youth preservation even further. Details to come in future.