I’ve previously discussed how collagen hydrolysates (produced from gelatin) has been shown to improve skin texture by increasing dermal moisture, reducing depth of wrinkles, and reducing collagen degradation, while also increasing joint fluid and reducing joint pain and rebuilding cartilage over time, effects that help reduce the impact of arthritis.
The key, however, is to obtain 10 grams of collagen hydrolysates per day. It is therefore best worked into your daily routine to make it a consistent effort that requires no planning. My favorite way is to combine collagen hydrolysates with MCT oil powder and use the combination as an excellent coffee creamer. If you drink coffee every day, including your daily dose of collagen is effortless and delicious. Likewise, if you drink hot chocolate rather than coffee, add the collagen and it adds to the whitening effect.
But coffee or hot chocolate may not be part of your routine. You could add collagen to your tea but, depending on the variety you choose, it is possible that the very slight gamey smell and taste can show through. What other ways are there to incorporate collagen into your daily routine? Here are some thoughts:
- Add collagen to broth–One tablespoon collagen added to one cup broth dissolves nicely. (Make sure your broth is hot.) Salt it liberally and you will get all the nutrients of the broth (including some of its own collagen) as well as the collagen hydrolysates you add.
- Add collagen to a quick muffin recipe such as this Maple-Cinnamon Quick Muffin or one of the other quick muffins from recipes in the Wheat Belly 30-Minute (Or Less!) Cookbook, or the Apricot Ginger Granola from the Wheat Belly 10-Day Grain Detox.
- Add collagen to Classic Granola from Wheat-Free Market along with coconut/almond/hemp milk, or the Breakfast Nut Mix from the recipe in the Wheat Belly 30-Minute (Or Less!) Cookbook
- Add collagen to the Super-Duper High-Fat Wheat Belly Yogurt recipe or your choice of unflavored, organic, full-fat yogurt
- Add collagen to Wheat Belly 10-Day Grain Detox Shakes such as the Mocha Coconut, Green Tea Ginger, or Tropical Storm flavors.
- Add it to your baking–Preferably something you consume regularly, such as a Classic Scone smothered with butter or Chocolate Almond Biscotti, along with other recipes from the original Wheat Belly Cookbook.
Anyone have other suggestions on how to fit collagen hydrolysates for skin and joint health into your daily routine?